Blogs > Media Moms

We are two working mothers — Lauren Rose, the director of business development for Name Bubbles, and Betsy DeMars, the assistant managing editor at The Saratogian. Try as we may to be really good at both, balancing motherhood and career can get pretty messy. As professionals, work schedules and mommy schedules often collide. So, we plow through, hoping at the end of the day, our kids — Lauren's 5-year-old son and Betsy's 11-year-old son and 9-year-old daughter — know how much we love them.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving Turkey Trot

Like many of you, I'll be participating in the Turkey Trot tomorrow. Not the 9th annual Thanksgiving morning road race in Saratoga (although that would be nice), I'm actually talking about the "shuffle" we do from one house to another (to another...).

Some years my husband, son and I attend Thanksgiving dinner at one house followed by another "later" version of Thanksgiving dinner with other family members. Way too much food. Last year, my husband and I ate Flaming Ramen in Japan, which was completely out of the ordinary and wonderful.

Tomorrow we'll be enjoying dinner at my parent's house with my brother, his wife and her two children followed by dessert at my sister-in-law's home with her in-laws, my in-laws and "the boys" (somehow we all managed to have ONLY boys). It's going to be a busy day filled with family, fun and FOOD.

When I lived in Atlanta, when it wasn't feasible to fly home for the holiday, I'd spend Thanksgivings with friends, friend's parents, and once - random friends and total strangers. My sister Suzanne and I were living in Virginia-Highlands and had decided to stay put. When we were invited to what we now refer to as the "craziest Thanksgiving EVER" we joyfully accepted. My friend Carolyn, in the midst of her divorce, decided to host the traditional dinner at her home and invite everyone and anyone without a place to go - including her soon to be Ex! I was single at the time and my sister was dating an Argentinian guy who brought along his entourage. Being the sweet gal that she is, Carolyn included all the "strays" she knew in her grand plan of creating a well-meaning meal with "friends". [She was equally kind to her furry friends.]

Everyone mingled with a drink in hand remarking on the random nature of the group. There were belly laughs and nervous giggles. Hey, we were all new to to this. One thing I learned is that when you invite a mixed bag of people, you end up with buffet that looks more like a pot luck picnic than a proper Thanksgiving table. Still the laughs prevailed and some new friends were made.

The only other Thanksgiving feast that stands apart from the ordinary was when I lived in Athens, GA and joined a local family of artists for Thanksgiving "Tofurkey". No additional comment required.

Happy Thanksgiving, Y'all!

[The Y'all is for my pals in Georgia who shared their holidays with me during the 14 years I lived down South]

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home