Blogs > Media Moms

We are two working mothers — Lauren Rose, the director of business development for Name Bubbles, and Betsy DeMars, the assistant managing editor at The Saratogian. Try as we may to be really good at both, balancing motherhood and career can get pretty messy. As professionals, work schedules and mommy schedules often collide. So, we plow through, hoping at the end of the day, our kids — Lauren's 5-year-old son and Betsy's 11-year-old son and 9-year-old daughter — know how much we love them.

Monday, November 15, 2010

Sometimes, a sick day is in order

I was on the fence about it for a solid hour before deciding to just let my son stay home from school today.

I had a mid-day meeting that would need to be rescheduled, but he was having trouble controlling the massive amounts of snot (sorry to be graphic, folks, but this is a mom-related blog, so bodily fluids are fair game for discussion), so I tossed him a box a tissues and said, "Fine, go back to bed. You can stay home."

So I e-mailed and texted bosses and co-workers that I would be working from home and settled into my corner office in the living room.

I hardly ever take a sick day. I don't point this out because I want you to think I'm some kind of martyr or something. Actually, I'm just amazed by the general blessing of good health at my home.

Perhaps it can be attributed to my husband's tough-as-nails genes, but my kids hardly ever are sick enough to stay home. Last year, I can remember picking up my daughter from school once because she had fallen on her face on the pavement. Wow -- not pretty. But she was still healthy -- just with the fattest lip I've ever seen.

She'll be ticked if she knows I've ever breathed a word about it to anyone. (So, shhhhhh ...) She hates for anyone to pay attention to her when she gets hurt. If she trips and falls or stubs her toe, the best reaction is to ignore her. She'll just tell you to leave her alone anyway.

What can I say, she's one tough little chica. A couple summers ago she was playing with some other kids in this creek on a friend of mine's property. Like many of the kids, she was using this vine to swing over the water and then let go -- only she landed on her back on some rocks. I was not there to witness it, but I was told by the supervising adult that she just got up like nothing happened. Upon witnessing this, my friend's daughter whispered, "Is she made of plastic?"

While neither of my children are super-human or anything, they have managed to ward off serious illeness even when surrounded by it at school. Last year, we got notes home from my son's classroom and his football team that he had probably been exposed to the H1N1 flu virus. (No, we didn't get flu shots.) He somehow dodged the bullet.

Sure, my kids get stuffy noses and occasional mild coughs, but they don't let any of that slow them down. Neither of them ever even asks to stay home sick. That's why, when my son was blowing through an entire box of tissues before breakfast and saying he didn't think he could make it through the day, I said, "OK."

I must have a pretty crazy track record because he was fully prepared to have to go to work with me so I wouldn't miss my meeting, but I assured him rescheduling it would not be the end of the world.

It wasn't, either. We're all still here, aren't we?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home