Blogs > Media Moms

We are two working mothers — Lauren Rose, the director of business development for Name Bubbles, and Betsy DeMars, the assistant managing editor at The Saratogian. Try as we may to be really good at both, balancing motherhood and career can get pretty messy. As professionals, work schedules and mommy schedules often collide. So, we plow through, hoping at the end of the day, our kids — Lauren's 5-year-old son and Betsy's 11-year-old son and 9-year-old daughter — know how much we love them.

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Sometimes "tough love" is what mom needs

I spent the last six weeks of summer watching a fellow working mom friend become progressively more fit and more toned by the day. I'd see her in line at Starbucks or at daycare drop offs and think "Wow, she really looks terrific. I wonder what she's doing..." To be honest, I didn't so much wonder as run right up to her and say "what EXACTLY are you doing to get so fit and trim? I need it and I need it now!" Although she told me (repeatedly, I might add) that it was Jillian Michaels' 30 day Shred DVD program, I didn't get started. Not right away anyway. I think part of me wanted to see if she'd stick with it. With the last 10 pounds of baby weight (yeah, I know my kid is four) at stake, I wasn't about to waste time - and energy - on something that didn't work.

So two weeks ago on a Friday afternoon, another friend who also wanted to make positive and lasting changes in her health and I went in search for the DVD in question. Step 1: purchase DVD. Done. Step 2: Play DVD. Well, not so fast...

The weekend came and went and the DVD remained safely shrink wrapped on my kitchen counter.

When the work week began once again and this particular Monday turned out to be a doozie, I headed home to shake off the stress and figured that I had two choices: a glass of wine or 20 minutes with the toughest trainer on TV. I chose wisely.

I hit play and said out loud: "Bring it, Jillian!"

After what seemed more like 30 minutes, I thought to myself "that was fantastic!" So while still in the afterglow of exercise bliss, I made a commitment to surrender to Jillian Michaels' "tough love" every other day for the next 60 days. I read somewhere that it takes 60 days to form a new habit, so I figured that stretching out the 30 Day Shred to 60 days wouldn't do much harm.

Ten days in and I've now graduated to Level II. Although it brings with it squat thrusts and plank jacks, Jillian has become someone I actually look forward to seeing on a regular basis. Progress is slow, but steady, and I'm feeling more energetic, less stressed, and have a have a renewed strength of mind and body. Although I haven't hopped on the scale, my clothes are fitting better and I've got a keen eye on a pair of skinny jeans tucked neatly away in my closet.

Tomorrow morning when I lace up and press play, I know I'm one step closer to my goal of shedding - I mean shredding - those last 10 pounds.


Note: my mom friend is still feeling - and looking - great. Thanks for this inspiration, TR!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home