Blogs > Media Moms

We are two working mothers — Lauren Rose, the director of business development for Name Bubbles, and Betsy DeMars, the assistant managing editor at The Saratogian. Try as we may to be really good at both, balancing motherhood and career can get pretty messy. As professionals, work schedules and mommy schedules often collide. So, we plow through, hoping at the end of the day, our kids — Lauren's 5-year-old son and Betsy's 11-year-old son and 9-year-old daughter — know how much we love them.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Change is good, right?

There's a lot of change brewing. At home and at work. Is it me, or does life seem to change a lot in the Fall? Of course traditionally there's the annual "back to school" rush, but it's been years since I've been involved in that and my son hasn't reached Kindergarten age. Is it the change in seasons? The cooler weather brings with it a change in wardrobe, for one. I've always welcomed change and am feeling that "change is in the air" vibe all around me.

My sister - who also happens to be my best friend - is turning 40 this weekend. I'm honored to be traveling to Atlanta (where we both lived at one point) to share some much needed quality time with her and properly ring in the next decade in her life. A milestone, for sure.

Our son recently "officially" started preschool at the daycare he's been attending since he was three months old. Although we've transitioned from room to room throughout the years, this transition feels big. Maybe it's because the next transition will be Kindergarten. I think it's more than that, though, because my son seems different. He's writing letters now, talking about his school days more, and seems a whole lot more outgoing. Our morning drop offs are (dare I say) a tad bit easier and weekends and evenings have more structure.

At work, we're launching new products, projects and programs. Our "digital first" media approach is really taking shape in the advertising department and changing the way some local businesses are viewing their marketing programs, which is exciting. We're adding a new member to our team this Wednesday, who brings with him a decade of experience and a love of Saratoga to the downtown Saratoga territory.

Positive changes, right? Most definitely. But for me, with change and a whole new to-do list brings with it what I call "monkey mind". Monkey mind is when all I have to do wakes me up in the middle of the night demanding my attention. It's futile to resist. I know, because I've tried...

For the last two weeks, I've been up before 5:00 AM. Today I welcomed my morning at 3:45. I'm not so much tired, as wired. Like clockwork, I get really creative and inspired this time of year. Summers in Saratoga are so busy you barely have time to think. So when Fall quietly arrives and the weather turns, my "wheels" also start turning. As I sign off now and go make what I'm sure will be the first of several cups of coffee I'll drink today, my official intention is to embrace this new day and all the change that comes with it. Seriously, what's the alternative?



Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Well, MM Lauren, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that can't keep up with her self-written 'to-do' list during the waking hours.

My oldest started Kindergarten which I now know is a process, not an event, and my "baby" started preschool with ease. I'm feeling my own separation anxiety though I need the time to manage my ever-changing business as well. I have ten properties listed right now that I'm trying to promote as best I can in a slow market, and I lie awake at night brainstorming ways to generate more showings through new media techniques that I'm not even sure I can find the time to do!

Fall is an exhausting and exciting season for everyone, I suppose, though working moms seem to lose the most sleep. We get by on caffeine, and the artwork our little ones bring home from school!

September 21, 2010 at 10:54 AM 
Blogger Media Mom Lauren said...

I had a feeling I wasn't the only one, Melissa. Like you said, the coffee helps and the artwork and milestones help more. Enjoy Fall's beginning and get a good night sleep, already. [I told myself the same thing, just so you know].

September 21, 2010 at 5:16 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home