Blogs > Media Moms

We are two working mothers — Lauren Rose, the director of business development for Name Bubbles, and Betsy DeMars, the assistant managing editor at The Saratogian. Try as we may to be really good at both, balancing motherhood and career can get pretty messy. As professionals, work schedules and mommy schedules often collide. So, we plow through, hoping at the end of the day, our kids — Lauren's 5-year-old son and Betsy's 11-year-old son and 9-year-old daughter — know how much we love them.

Thursday, June 24, 2010

The gift of hand-me-downs

I've got to admit that I was utterly shocked at my son's reaction to two bags of hand-me-downs he received this month. One from his cousin and another from an older pal he idolizes. His reaction? Shear bliss!

Being first born, I personally never received any hand-me-downs. What I heard growing up from siblings and friends was not in line with my son's current state of perpetual happiness. The general consensus was "this sucks".

Is this an only child thing, I wondered? Because my kid's over the moon! Monday he wore pajama shorts that he insisted were "real shorts". Tuesday he sported a short-shirt combo that could only be described as "clashing". On Wednesday he bragged to his friends about the cool hole in the John Deere tee his cousin gave him. "The air comes right through it, mom", he said. Today as we were just about to leave the house, he stepped right out of his "regular" shorts and ran upstairs to the hand-me-down bag to find a "new" pair of shorts. I'm happy to say that today's outfit almost matches.

In the spirit of giving, I've been happy to pass along most my son's outgrown clothes to the children of friends and colleagues and always felt so good when I received glowing "thank you's". It really is such a great feeling to not have to shell out big bucks for clothes and gear that won't fit three months from now.

In addition to sharing clothing and kid gear with family and friends, there are several clothing swaps and consignment sales and shops here in the Saratoga area you should absolutely check out. Here are a few:

Treasures Thrift Shop
60 West Ave, Saratoga Springs
a service of Saratoga Hospital
http://www.saratogacare.org/

Pixie's Closet
2124 Doubleday Avenue, Ballston Spa
http://www.pixiesclosetconsignment.com/

Cuddle Bugs Consigment Boutique
455 Maple Avenue (Route 9), Saratoga Springs
http://cuddlebugssaratoga.com/

Encore
100 Saratoga Village Blvd., Suite 3, Ballston Spa
http://www.encorekidssale.com/location

Saratoga County Fairgrounds' Consignment Sale of Children's Items
is scheduled for October 3 - 10 2010
http://www.saratogacountyfair.org/Special-Events

The semi-annual Katrina Trask Nursery School's next consignment sale will be help this fall http://ktnurseryschool.org/sale

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Lauren - these are some great resources, thanks! You might also want to check out thredUP - it's a new place to swap kids clothing online. The service lets you exchange boxes of outgrown clothes for 2nd hand items that fit - all without leaving your house. Check it out: www.thredup.com

Let me know if you'd like more info! karen@thredup.com

June 25, 2010 at 10:35 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home