Blogs > Media Moms

We are two working mothers — Lauren Rose, the director of business development for Name Bubbles, and Betsy DeMars, the assistant managing editor at The Saratogian. Try as we may to be really good at both, balancing motherhood and career can get pretty messy. As professionals, work schedules and mommy schedules often collide. So, we plow through, hoping at the end of the day, our kids — Lauren's 5-year-old son and Betsy's 11-year-old son and 9-year-old daughter — know how much we love them.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Off and running — in heels

Yesterday was one of those days when I woke up and thought, "there's no way I'm going to get all of this done today." Most days are very full, but this was one of those have-to-be-in-three-places-at-once days.

It started by getting to the gym at 5:30 a.m. I was home by 6:50, thinking maybe I'd crawl back under the covers for a few minutes before waking my daughter. My thoughts of relaxation didn't last long. The 4-foot pile of clean laundry sitting on the couch shot me an insuting look as soon as I walked into the house. So I folded and sorted instead of going back to bed.

At work I whipped through emails and wrapped up our January magazine, working with reporters on their daily stories in between everything else. When I thought an escape was possible, I zipped over to Target. I was on a mission: black pants and black shoes for my son's orchestra concert that night. (Of course, we remembered he needed these the previous evening).

Black shoes -- check. Black pants -- uh, oh. Nada. Nothing in his size whatsoever.
Alright, I was close to the mall at that point, so I zipped over there and parked at JC Penney's. Once again, failure. Everything is too expensive.

So at that point I realized the clock is ticking and I needed to get back to work to finish the daily story budget for the copy editors. I started power walking into the mall, bee-lining for Sears. My feet were killing me. I hadn't planned to do this much walking when I put on those heels.

Sears had the goods -- Dockers for 17 bucks and a cute clip-on tie on clearance. I checked out and bolted out the nearest door. Turns out I was waaaay far away from my car. I broke into a deliberate power walk again; then a full-out run (in the hurty heels, mind you) once I saw my car in the distance.

The last hour at work was a blur, and then I was on my way to pick up the kids, drop my daughter off at a friend's house across town so she could catch a ride to soccer practice and buzz home to get my son ready for his concert.

Once at home, we had 10 minutes to transform him. I ripped off the tags, he got dressed and we were out the door.

Where was my husband during all this mayhem? As we raced to the school, he called. He had been working more than an hours-drive away in Hudson but was now on his way from Clifton Park. I dropped off my son and parked (after doing two full loops around the school and its parking lots searching for a spot), and as luck would have it, my husband reached the school entrance just as I did.

The concert was wonderful, although we had to crane our necks to see just a patch of his little, blond head.

My day was not over, though. I had to bolt out of the concert a few minutes early, once again running to my car (I wisely changed my shoes while at home earlier). It just happens to be my week to sing at church, and rehearsal was starting at 8:30 p.m.
Two hours later, I was finally heading home.

Just another day in paradise.



Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home